Monday, August 10, 2009

1 Down, 2 to Go

So I haven't wanted to blog about this yet since I wasn't sure I'd live to tell the entire story. August 8 has past, I am still alive, I still have the use of both legs, so really, things couldn't be better. This year, I thought torturing myself sounded like a wise idea so I signed up for the Triple Trail Challenge. It's comprised of 3 separate trail running events: Jupiter Peak Steeplechase, Park City 1/2 Marathon and the Mid Mountain Marathon...oh and they are all 2 weeks apart. Garrett tells everyone I'm doing this for the coveted jacket you receive, and while he may be a little bit right, I'm taking this on just to see if I can do it.

Jupiter Peak Steeplechase

This event is a long time Park City tradition, a 16-mile trail running loop with 3000 feet of elevation gain. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then maybe this will: So you start at the Park City Resort, run 8 miles, straight up the mountain all the way to the very highest peak and then you run 8 miles back down. Yeah, that's exactly why I thought I might not make it. This event was the one I was dreading, the one I just didn't know if I could do. I've been training, but I was certain I just wasn't training enough. Well, with a giant sigh of relief, it's over. I actually did really well...I felt good and out of 105 other crazy women that entered this, I came in 16th. I was pretty psyched. Here is a picture of the last 3/4 mile of the uphill. I heard it was steep, but C'MON!!!

So there you have it...2 more to go. I have the Park City 1/2 Marathon coming up in 2 weeks which is going to be a cake walk. The Mid Mountain Marathon is going to be hard for sure, but its flat and my good buddy Holly is running it with me. I tried talking her into doing all 3, but she thought I was nuts. I think she's going to be awfully jealous when I'm prancing around in my jacket at the end!! I mean, jealous that I ran all 3 races.

No comments: