Monday, April 14, 2008

Cholla Challenge

Me and Garrett before the Race

Sun Rise
It didnt take long
Munchie...ready to get out of the car
The dogs on guard...this is what we pay them for.
Making sure no one comes near their carpet
Cute Mogley
Even cuter Munchie...check out that tongue, now that's tired
Hanging out
Our bikes
Allright, enough, let's go home.
I feel like I always say this, but our weekend has flown by like usual. It was more eventful than normal, so I guess its no surprise. We had our first mountain bike race this weekend in Hurricane, Utah. Pronounce that city how you like, I think Utah people are wrong, I dont care what they say. Anyway, we left Friday afternoon...dogs, bikes, and everything else we own in tow. Shortly after departure my allergies decided it was a good time to show up. Lovely. For the next 3 hours or so I coughed, sneezed and felt like my head was going to pop off from all the pressure. In Cedar City, where we stopped for dinner, I bought some benadryl, the non drousy sort. My ass. After about 30 minutes, I started feeling dilusional and realized what was happening. The non drowsy medicine was making me drowsy. I want my money back.

Anyway, we camped at the race site. By camped I mean cramped in the back of the 4Runner with Munch and an extremely large Doodle laying on what felt like jagged rocks in my back even though I layed a pretty large comforter underneath us. Next time when Garrett says we dont need the blow up pads, "The Comforter will be just fine," his life might be in danger. I had to lay 1/2 of my body on top of his in order to make it through the night. By morning, I was still feeling congested but I didn't dare take another benadryl before the race.

The race went okay, super long and draining, but okay. Garrett and I both finished middle of the pack which we were both happy about. 26 miles, racing on a mountain bike is pretty intense. It doesnt sound all that bad, but trust me it is. I made it okay, it was just tough. I'm glad we did it though, I felt very accomplished when we were done. The weather was perfect, and it turned out to be a really nice day. So we packed up the car and headed back to Salt Lake.

Sunday, we got up and Munchie was sick. Poor little dude. Mogs was sick on Friday and I'm thinking maybe he passed it on but we'll see...we have a vet appt. this afternoon. He couldn't keep anything down, he just threw up all day. Literally, all day...I feel so sad for him. Garrett spent the good part of the morning building his new Cannondale mountain bike. I helped a little, but I just sat outside and watched, enjoying the beautiful day, drinking nalgene after nalgene of water trying to rehydrate after Saturday. After persuading my legs that mountain biking was a good idea, we hit the Shoreline trail for a really nice ride. Garrett really liked his new mountain bike. He said it was different, but fun. He went from a 29'er soft tail to a 26'er full suspension. So its smaller, but really fast and easier to maneuver. (For anyone that cares)

So its Monday. Munch is still sick and I'm worried that he's dehydrated so its off to the Vet. Apparently Mommy and Munch snuggle time will not fix every problem. Its a beautiful, warm spring day here in Salt Lake today. I'm going to try and enjoy it from my office. Oh boy.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Congrats on the race! That is something to be proud of...I think so anyway. I hope Munchie gets well soon!