Friday, August 29, 2008

A Letter to Patagonia

Dear Patagonia,

I would like to start by saying that I love almost every article of clothing you make as well as everything your company stands for. Your love for the environment and wildlife makes putting on that wonderfully cozy fleece jacket mean so much more than just trying to stay warm. I have no idea what organic cotton is and why it is any different than regular cotton, but just the fact that it says that on the tag makes me want to pay about 40% more. Crazy, but your sales tactics have worked...on me anyway.

That being said, I would like for you to get rid of that damn Patagonia Outlet store in Salt Lake City, the one walking distance from my house. A couple times a year, they have a 40% off sale, yes 40% off of the already reduced outlet prices of everything in the store, and me and all the other granola gear buying residents of Salt Lake City flock to these chaotic sales, not because I want to, its because I have to. Its like a force. I don't want to go rummage through boxes and piles of clothes for hours or stand in line for 2-3 hours behind all those people buying thousands and thousands of dollars worth of Patagonia clothes. As if waiting in line isn't bad enough, but you have 2-3 hours to think about your purchases...should I buy these shorts, do I really need this jacket, ohhhh thats cute, where did you find that, I better try and find one too, will you hold my spot in this line. Hmmm, I don't really need any more freakin t-shirts, but these are ORGANIC and only $10, I better get 3. So do you see my problem, Patagonia...you are practically forcing me to spend gobs of money at your store...money I don't really have to spend. This store needs to go away, the temptation is just too irresistible. As my Dad2 would say, we're all gonna go broke trying to save money. Isn't that the truth?

Sincerely,

Brittany

2 comments:

Dustin said...

You would have been impressed... I walked in, looked for what I needed, and when they didn't have it I immediately left. I didn't even go in the back room! Of course now I am thinking I SHOULD go back... what if I missed some fabulous deal and my life is incomplete? You are right about the irresistible temptation.

Birdie said...

I am totally going there after work!