Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Xterra Race

This past Saturday, one day after I arrived home from Ireland, I participated in the 2008 Ogden Xterra event. It took me almost 4 hours to complete, and I can say with utmost certainty, this was one of the most challenging things I have ever done, both physically and mentally. Its a 1 mile swim at Pineview Reservoir followed by a 19 mile mountain bike leg up to Snowbasin followed by a 6 mile run up the mountain and back down.

Here's my recap: The swim was much harder than I imagined. The gun went off, with no warning, and nearly 600 people dove into the water at the same time. Pure chaos is an understatement. After being kicked in the head several times and pulled underwater even more times, all without being able to see a thing, I went into a panic mode. I think if I didn't have the wetsuit on for some buoyancy, I would have quit. I tread water for a couple of minutes and let people get by and tried to calm myself down. After the masses of people went by, I managed to finish the swim leg with not too many problems. It's definitely weird swimming in open water, not being able to see the lines of the swimming pool or where you are going at all will take some getting used to.


Then it was time for the bike. I made it through the transition no problem but, because of where I was after the swim, I was riding with a group I probably shouldn't have. I thought I would be able to pass and make up time from the swim, but I was wrong. Its not so easy to pass when you're stuck behind a group of 12 or so people. It was frustrating for me, not what I'm used to. Once we got to Snowbasin, there was still more biking to do, and to me, this was the hardest part of the bike leg. They had us ride up a loose service road for a couple of miles, which for everyone I saw, meant hike-a-bike. That really takes it out of me. Once we made it to the top of the service road, we got to ride some fun single track back to the transition area.
Run time. This was the easiest, most enjoyable part for me. I made up some time and managed to pass quite a few people and I finished strong. Just finishing this race felt like such an achievement for me, and I feel like with some practice, I could do really well. Overall, it was fun and I want to do another one for sure. Next year, I'll definitely do some things differently. For one, I need to spend more time in open water...a pool just does not prepare you. I also think I will start the swim off to one side, not in the middle. If I can finish my swim with some of the faster people, I think the bike leg will be easier and I'll be riding with some faster people. Also, I will try not to be out of the country just days before my race. I wasn't feeling jet lag, but I know it took its toll on me.
Garrett and Mogley came out to help me with all my gear, cause god knows there was a lot to keep track of. I feel lucky to have such a supportive husband (and dog), to stand out in the heat for 4 hours to cheer me on. Don't worry, he got some good husband bonus points :) He's always looking to pick up some of those.

3 comments:

Birdie said...

I am so proud of you for finishing! That sounds like a seriously tough race.

Kari said...

Awesome job Britt! I'm proud of you!

Leicy said...

I did a smaller race in Denver in June and I will have to agree with you in regards to the swim...it was mass histeria, and I thought I was going to die, but I made it and I and definately stronger for it.....way to go you are now a triatholete.

Feliece - (Hilary's other crazy sister)