Monday, July 14, 2008

The Family Feast

Why is it that whenever people have "get togethers" there is always a massive amount of food consumed? This is especially true for families. Think about it. How many times do you do something with your extended family that doesn't involve stuffing your face? I can hardly think of any instances. Holidays are usually centered around food, sometimes breakfast, lunch and dinner. We should be out enjoying our time off work having fun, not consuming calorie after calorie. Why can't we plan hikes or bike rides or any other excursion? I'm not placing the blame on anyone here. I am as much to blame as anyone else, its been ingrained in my brain that eating is the acceptable thing to do for social gatherings. I mean, I can't even go snowshoeing for a couple of hours without planning the lunch and packing a sandwich for everyone in attendance. If I go to anyone's house, I'm insistent on bringing a side or appetizer. It's ridiculous really that we have nothing better to do than sit around and eat. It doesn't matter how delicious and tasty that appetizer or dessert was, by the next day, it will be long forgotten and remembered as just another meal.

1 comment:

Dustin said...

You plan the excursion and I'll sign up - as long as we can eat afterward! :)