Friday, July 11, 2008

The Roots

Today I am tired. I didn't get my usual 9 hours of sleep last night, but do you know what, I don't really even care.

We went with our neighbors to the first Twilight Concert of the summer. These FREE concerts are held every Thursday night at the Gallivan Center in Downtown Salt Lake. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but we ended up having a great time. The weather was perfect for an outdoor concert and The Roots sounded pretty good, only sounded b/c I never actually saw them due to the enormous crowds, crowds so thick you had to push your way through. Usually I would be complaining about such things, but no, not yesterday, I welcomed the crowd and didn't panic once (probably b/c I was holding Garrett's hand for most of the night so we wouldn't get separated). The people watching there was phenomenal, it was like I was back in Austin for the night. There were men dancing in dresses, people with dreads and granola gear, BLACK people, drunk people, stoned people, people just having a good time, and all those girls that are dressed somewhere in between prom queen and prostitute. I love those girls. Those girls are my heroes. I mean, you got to hand it to them. They willingly go to a concert they will undoubtedly have to walk many many blocks to get to, stand for about 3 hours for the concert and they do it all in stiletto heels. Awesome, totally awesome. Anyway, I have lived in Salt Lake for nearly 3 years now and I was amazed with all the culture The Roots brought out. Where do these people live? Where do they normally hang out? Its perplexing really because on a day to day basis, this place is generally lacking of all things cultural. And don't say I'm hanging out at the wrong places...until you have lived somewhere else, Utah people will never fully understand what they're missing.

3 comments:

Birdie said...

Sounds fun. Are they always on Thursday?

Britt said...

Yep, every Thursday. We should make a date.

Kari said...

Are you sure you were still in SLC?