Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Finally


Zazoosh, my personal event photographer, finally posted pics from the MS150 this past weekend so I will finally write about it. This was our 3rd year to participate, well ride the ride anyway. I'm not really sure you would call what we did participating. Here is the story of how our plans digressed. First, we were going to go down Friday morning to set up camp, have dinner with the team, wake up, eat breakfast, take team picture, ride 100 miles on Saturday followed by dinner with the team and then ride 75 miles on Sunday (this was our itenerary for the past 2 years). We then learned Garrett's friend from college was going to be in town that very same weekend, staying with us in fact, so we opted to change the plans a bit. We would go down Friday night, do all the events with the team, and then leave after the 100 miles on Saturday. Well, Friday comes along and Garrett and I both decide we would rather not pack all our crap for just one night so we decide to skip dinner with the team and get up at the crack of dawn to be in Logan well before the start (7:00 am) so we can register and have some breakfast. Well, I should have known better. My husband drives like a Grandpa...a grandpa with absolutely nowhere to be so needless to say, it took us a little longer to get there than I planned for. No big deal, right? We could still register and have something to eat, just start a little late. So we FINALLY made it and registered. While Garrett was putting our numbers on our bikes, I walked over to grab us some breakfast from the Continental Breakfast Buffet. I get there and don't see any food on the tables and I ask the girl standing there if they were closed b/c the flyer says breakfast is over at 8:00 am and it was only 7:15 am. She looks at me and says NO, we're not closed there just isn't anything left and I'm all, so you're saying its closed? I stomped back to Garrett less than thrilled mubling something about that's what happens when a bunch of overweight people get their hands on an all you can eat buffet...I mean, the MS150 knows how many people they are feeding so it leads me to believe someone was stuffing their jersey with extra pop tarts and muffins, leaving people like me hopped up on coffee with nothing in my stomach. What a nice way to start a 100 mile ride. Anyway, we started about 7:30. The first hour of these type of rides are horribly stressful for me. You're on small little roads, passing people on anything from Grandma's 1960 mountain bike to recumbents, people are riding like maniacs...not looking before they get over, swerving...those guys who think they are badasses, blowing by people on their time trial bikes during a CHARITY event ride and my favorite part, the country people that live around Logan, pissed that they can't get by these 4,000 people on bicycles, I mean, who rides a bicycle when you have a jacked up pickup truck with tires bigger than me and an exhaust that sounds like a small airplane and usually a bumper sticker that says something like "Got Balls" or "Powerstroke This." So, after a couple near heart attacks, things started to mellow out and Garrett and I were able to power through the 100 miles at a pretty nice pace. We made it back to the car by about 1:00 and headed home. 100 miles on a bike is good training, but man it wears you out. Riding a century gives me the same kind of satisfaction as popping a zit...it sucks while you're doing it but it feels oh so good and relieving afterwards. Have a nice lunch everyone!!