Monday, July 14, 2008

Total Immersion

Garrett and I have been working on the Total Immersion technique for swimming. I'm doing it to train for my first Xterra Triathlon and Garrett is training to not drown in the pool. After hearing really good things about it, a friend let me borrow the instructional video. Total Immersion claims to be the new way of swimming, especially for triathletes. The main focuses are balance, active streamlining, rhythmic weight shifts and traction. The point is to be a more efficient swimmer and to conserve energy while swimming long distances. I was skeptical at first, but I really feel its making a huge difference for us. I am swimming for longer periods of time and feeling less tired so I think its really going to help me out for my race coming up in August. Garrett is really benefitting from the drills, he's sinking less and has become more efficient with his breathing. If anyone is interested, let me know. I may know where you could get a copy:)

2 comments:

Birdie said...

Hum, that sounds interesting. If I ever decide to swim, I'll be asking you for sure!

{Hilary} said...

Sounds awesome.
One day when I get some spare time...I might just take you up on this offer until then...well, I hope Garrett can learn not to drown in the pool.