Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sandblown







This past weekend, Garrett and I raced in the 24 Hours of Moab mountain bike race. This is our final and toughest race of the year, one we always look forward to. It's kinda the Disneyland of cycling for us. Moab is such a beautiful place, but one thing I've learned, the weather is either awesome or miserable. There is no in between. This year was WIND. As you could imagine, wind and sand are an awful combination. There was sand in our tent, our food, our ears, our mouths, our eyes, our car...pretty much everywhere. There were several instances where I was sure our tent was going to be launched across the desert, but it managed to stay put.
The Race:

So I raced 3rd on a team of 5...Garrett raced 5th. The race went well, we all got 3 laps in for a total team mileage of 225 miles in 24 hours. Not too bad. I really do like this race. It's just really hard to think that when you're having to wake up at 3 in the morning to go out on your mountain bike for a 15 mile lap. And its not just an easy, mindless pedaling type lap...it's technical and sandy and requires your attention at all times.

So, its officially over. This really marks the end of mountain bike season for us. I've got snow on my mind and am more than ready to break out my skis. Till next year Moab, it was fun. That's why I waited a couple days to post this, I wanted to put that last part. Had I posted right after the race, it may have been more like Fu#% this Sh*%, I'm never putting myself through that again. 24 Hours of Moab blows, literally.

1 comment:

{Hilary} said...

Brittany-- Hilary wants to bottle Brittany's motivation and give to Hilary. Hilary would love motivation like that. Hilary would also need time but that's another story.
Hilary thinks you rock and Hilary thinks she does want to make out/spoon with Munch on Monday.