Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Insanity at its Finest








On October 13 & 14, Garrett and I rode in the epic Mountain bike race...24 Hours of Moab. I wasn't quite sure what to expect upon arrival, but it's safe to say it was pure craziness. We took the easy route and rode on a 5 man team, each person doing a 16 mile loop before handing off the baton to the next poor soul. Some people compete solo in the race...it's fascinating to me to see them come through the finish, looking totally spent, and then get back on their bikes for even more pain and suffering. The race course is the "Behind the Rocks" course in Moab. The course wasn't my favorite that's for sure. There was lots of sand, several hike-a-bikes, and some pretty steep rocky, loose downhill. In the day it was fine, but riding that course in total darkness, with just a bike headlight, was a lot for me to handle. I was scared and nervous before my nighttime ride, but thanks to my wonderful husband's words of encouragement, I was ready to go by the time my team member came through. Poor Garrett, b/c of the riding arrangement, rode all his laps in the dark(that's why I don't have pics of him). He didn't seem to mind though. All in all, it was a great weekend. We didn't get much sleep, as you can imagine, but we left Moab tired and dirty with a sense of pride and accomplishment that you can't find anywhere else.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

YOU are my hero :) Someday I hope to be tough like you!!

Kari said...

You amaze me. I could never do that. I am so damn lazy.