Thursday, May 22, 2008

Birthdays just aren't that FUN Anymore

When I was a kid, I looked forward to my birthday all year long. What kind of party would I have? Who would I invite? What presents did I hope to get? When someone asked you how old you were, you proudly hold up 4 fingers or jubilantly reply "21" as you order a round of shots. Somewhere along the way, it stopped being fun. Somewhere along the way, you dread the day you turn another year older. I guess it's mostly b/c time is a bitch...and not a bitch you can just stop being friends with and they go away. You realize yet another year has gone by and your life is still the same, you just look and feel another year older. Nothing terribly exciting has happened...no new found wealth, no new exciting career...just the same old boring routine. While you may not admit it, this is probably just a little bit true for everyone.

What brought this on you ask? Garrett's birthday made me realize this. The thought of getting another year closer to 30 (he'll only have one more birthday before the big trasition) is really a tough thought for him. Its life, I know...and he does realize that he is lucky, fortunate and happy but that doesn't keep the dread away.

So, my goal for his next birthday is really to push him to do something great, something so fantastic that he won't hate the thought of another year passing by. He'll be excited for another year and the upcoming endeavors he'll face. He'll welcome another year older, as it brings with it wisdom, memories, success, failure, love, and so much more. Our lives are long...plenty of time to accomplish all our dreams. People always say "life is short" but what do you know that's longer?

4 comments:

Dustin said...

The same? whatever! Tell that boy that since his last bday he married the best thing that ever happened to him! And every bday is another yeat that you guys have gotten to spend together doing things you love. I will admit that turning 29 was VERY hard but, turning 30 was easy for whatever random reason. I think it's cause you are at the beginning of a new and fabulous decade, not the end. 30 is the new 20 after all - wink wink. Done rambling.

Dustin said...

Approval? What the hell is approval?

Britt said...

Approval...I was getting some really odd comments from people I don't know...so Wa La...approval.

Kari said...

Thirty is better! I agree with Dustin....30 is the new 20. Now, looking back I would rather be in my 30's than in my 20's. Don't be sad, be glad! Just live every minute, every day, every year like it is your last. Who cares how old you are, right?